Friday, December 30, 2016

Next Century's Child

















Last month marked the 6th anniversary of Jehanah’s passing.      Of course her friends and family remember her, and this blog continues to commemorate her life in pictures and poems. While we all need to eventually move on and recognize that this life is for the living, it can be grounding to pause for a moment once in a while to remember loved ones.
More and more these days I am cautious about feeding personal info to social media and commercial data aggregators, and I'm increasingly concerned about data security and privacy. Can you think of any unintended consequences of sharing your personal information with the Borg? And why is it that young people in the 21st Century don't care about personal privacy? Don't tell me you have nothing to hide. Well, just this once I want to share a personal story...
Earlier this year something amazing and unexpected emerged from the ether of the internet. The Jehanah blog apparently provided a trail of breadcrumbs to long-lost children of Jehanah. These children then confirmed what they suspected through a DNA match to my first cousin, provided by a common genealogy website. The match was further confirmed by facial recognition of each of the children.
The closed birth records system in Texas was supposed to prevent this from happening - and yet, just like systems everywhere - it has been disrupted! We have been identified and correlated through data aggregation and digital media. This is an unintended consequence that has made Jehanah's dearest wish come true.
******
Jehanah was forced to put two daughters up for adoption in her early life, long before she conformed to the normal societal role of Midwestern bleach blonde housewife. She spent a lifetime trying to recover from and make sense of this trauma, and we know that she made a lot of progress. Jehanah had always hoped to find her lost babies one day, but I’m sure she never could have imagined how the story would play out.
When her daughter and grand-daughter found us, we became acquainted through email and text messages over the course of several weeks. I wanted to meet them in person, and took a trip to visit them in their home state of Texas in October. Though I don’t fully know their impressions of our short visit (I was on my best behavior), I found them to be beautiful people, and I felt as though we had known each other for a long time.
The second long-lost daughter lives on the East Coast. She found Mom and had the opportunity to meet her back in 1988. She and I have corresponded and been good friends over the years, though I have only seen her three times in the last 28 years.

*****


8 comments:

  1. I am the second girl, top right in that sweet composite picture of us as toddlers. My name is Mary. Meeting my mother was a wish come true in my life, and I was blessed with knowing her for almost 25 years before her passing. Being a lifelong New Englander (far away), and resources always being a challenge, I was able to be with Jehanah only a few times, as well as my sister. It was Jehanah's wish from her heart to know us all, and the recent appearance of her first child closes the circle. It is a miracle I wish she were here to experience. We anxiously await meeting soon, and join with the spirit of Jehanah to fulfill her wish, and connect the ends of the circle.

    Jehanah loved her friends and kindred artists. They were her family too. They nourished her creativity and validated her work of sharing her vision. They were the people she chose to be with in life, and they carried her through to the end. We are blessed with the work she left behind, and from my perspective it's an enormous gift. I'm grateful she left so much of herself for those who love her to continue to share.

    This is an amazing journey, and I can't wait for what's next!

    More... I am including in the raffle a lovely handmade (by me!) chainmaille original design Celtic Star Necklace (see picture), to go to the winner. Made from jewelry grade stainless steel and brass to last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary.

    I am the little girl in pigtails - bottom right. My name is Susie, and my best guess is that I was the worst little hellion of the whole lot!

    If only for the sake of shaking things up, I am starting to like this digital age. What other anachronistic stigmas and skeletons might be dragged into the light?

    Rejoice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of your newly found niece and my heart is so full knowing that her mother and she have found family. I have witnessed the journey your niece undertook in researching her lost family and was so happy when the DNA was able to confirm her research. I cannot wait to see a full family picture when everyone is finally able to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing Angela, and I'm so happy you are a part of this journey with us. I remember and cherish the feeling of discovery when I found our mom and Susie, and am so happy the last part of the puzzle is in place. Our hearts have grown ten sizes! And I also look forward to that full family picture - I'll be there smiling ear to ear. Stay tuned! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela,
    What a delightful young lady, the Niece. She is brave, smart, and fun. She is the one who made this all possible - and I thank her. My hope is that we can become good friends, and it will be an honor if she also chooses to adopt us. I am inspired by her, and I want to wear a cape in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so you know, before buying a raffle ticket - due to feedback received on Facebook yesterday, I am going to have to go back and count books to ensure there is a second complete set of Sacred Grounds Poetry Anthology to donate to the San Francisco Public Library history room. If not, we may need to substitute something else for the raffle. We have an early edition Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comic book. Another possibility is an original 1987 Summer of Love anniversary poster. Any preferences?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great News! I have a clean, complete set of the Anthology, so we're all set for the raffle! No worries there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is good news. I suppose they wouldn't know about Freak Brothers anyway.

    ReplyDelete